About this Project
There are several state and federal courts around the country that have implemented a discovery facilitative mediation program over the last 5 or 6 years. This project involves identifying all such programs and determining how successful they have been. By comparing and evaluating such programs, we learned that there are certain factors/components that distinguish a highly successful program from a less successful program.
Download the draft PDF here:
Jay Yelton, Partner at Warner, Norcross + Judd is the Project Trustee.
Public comments are accepted through 30 Aug 2022.
The project team (organizations noted for identification purposes only) includes:
- Shannon Bales, Litigation Support Manager at Munger, Tolles & Olson (Costa Mesa, CA)
- Craig Ball, Forensic Technologist and Adjunct Professor at University of Texas Law School (New Orleans, LA)
- David Cohen, Partner at Reed Smith LLP (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Sonya Duchak, Coordinator at Fairfax Bar Association Conciliation Program (Fairfax, VA)
- Hon. Patricia Fresard, Circuit Judge, Wayne County Michigan
- Maura R. Grossman, Research Professor at the University of Waterloo (Ontario, Canada) and Principal at Maura Grossman Law (Buffalo, NY)
- Merril Hirsh, FCIArb, Executive Director Academy of Court-Appointed Masters, Law Office of Merril Hirsh PLLC
- Hon. Michael Hluchaniuk, Magistrate Judge, Eastern District of Michigan
- Hon. Iain Johnston, District Judge, Northern District of Illinois
- Chris King, Partner at Redgrave, LLP (Chicago, IL)
- Ralph Losey, Partner at Losey PLLC (Orlando, FL)
- Bruce Markowitz, Vice President at Evolver Legal Services (Reston, VA)
- Hon. David McKeague, Circuit Judge, Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Hon. Kristen L. Mix, Magistrate Judge, Colorado
- Hon. Stephen Murphy, District Judge, Eastern District of Michigan
- Andrew J. Peck (Ret.), Senior Counsel at DLA Piper (NY); United States Magistrate Judge (S.D. NY) (1995-2018).
- Jacqueline M. Pierce, Esq., Executive Director of Mandell Gisnet Center (Seaside, CA),
- Hon. Xavier Rodriguez, District Judge, Western District of Texas
- George Socha, Senior Vice President at Reveal-Brainspace (St. Paul, MN)
- Peter Vogel, Partner at Foley & Lardner (Dallas, TX)
- Ira Warshawsky (Ret.), Of Counsel at Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, PC (NY); New York Supreme Court Justice (1997-2011)
- Paul Weiner, Shareholder at Littler Mendelson (Philadelphia, PA)
- Jay Yelton, Of Counsel at Warner, Norcross + Judd (Michigan)