Dearest EDRM Community,
The word of the week is turbulent.
Biden and Xi will sign an agreement between the US and China keeping AI out of control systems for nuclear weapons. The Israel Hamas war threatens to expand in the Mideast. Ukraine warns Russia it will retaliate for energy infrastructure attacks. A mass killing claimed the lives of over 1300 souls in Sudan’s civil war. Moody’s, like its name, cut its credit risk assessment on the US to negative. The National Association of Realtors is reeling from a price fixing verdict regarding commissions in a business climate that reportedly has a 100% online component. Iceland has declared a state of emergency due to earthquake and possible volcanic eruption. Kenyans get a holiday to plant a hundred million seedlings. French police thwart €600,000 champagne heist after a chase with the help of tracking devices.
In Legal Tech this week
Array acquires Acorn. The law must govern AI, or AI will govern the law. ComplexDiscovery reviews the 2023 Wolters Kluwer Future Ready Lawyer Survey finding AI, ESG and technology adoption challenges to include recruiting and retaining talent in these areas. Stephen Embry brings us the Major Lindsay & Africa survey showing “a startling gap between law firm management and associates.” The European Data Protection Supervisor and UK ICO Sign Memorandum of Understanding per Hunton. Allen & Overy suffered a cyberattack to a “small number of servers,” per Legal IT Insider, as Legal IT Insider’s survey in collaboration with Litera exposes almost half of eDiscovery is not yet in the cloud. OpenAI’s Dev Day announced more power, more data and the ability to make no-code models per eDiscovery Today. Fitting that one of the memorials for Monica Bay will be on eDiscovery Day.
On the EDRM Blog
Upcoming Webinars on the EDRM Global Webinar Channel
- 14 Nov 2023: 1PM Eastern: Nextpoint Product Spotlight
- 15 Nov 2023: 1PM Eastern: Balancing Offensive and Defensive Governance Strategies for Generative AI
- 16 Nov 2023: 1PM Eastern: Important eDiscovery Case Law Decisions for November 2023
- 16 Nov 2023: 3PM Eastern: ADVANCING YOUR E-DISCOVERY CAREER: HOW TO LEVERAGE E-DISCOVERY DAY TO IT’S FULLEST
- 05 Dec 2023: 1PM Eastern: Streamline and Save: Smart ESI Collection Strategies for eDiscovery
- 06 Dec 2023: 1PM Eastern: Harnessing the Power of Advanced Extractions with Mobile Ultra
- 07 Dec 2023: 3PM Eastern: 2023 Gayle O’Connor Spirit Award Presentation
- 07 Dec 2023: 345PM Eastern: eDiscovery Evolution: A Journey from the Dawn of ESI to Today
- 14 Dec 2023: 1PM Eastern: Guardians of Data: Ethics & Governance for Legal Professionals in an AI-Driven World
Our Syndicated EDRM Global Podcast Network is available via iTunes, Spotify, Google Play and your favorite podcast app, so you can listen at your leisure. Recent podcasts guests include Joey Seeber and David Greetham, Anya Korolyov, Briordy Meyers, Monica Harris, John Wilson, and Robin Perkins.
EDRM is pleased to release its “General Data Protection Regulation Cross-Border Discovery Guidelines,” which have been released for public comment. The public comment period will close on 11/20/2023 and all comments are welcomed.
Every Tuesday at 6PM Eastern, community members gather via Zoom to offer or request support as we navigate our work and personal challenges. Email us at email@example.com to be included on the group invitation for the 196th support call. Remember, you are not alone, and you are welcome at our events, or to reach out for help. If you are having a mental health emergency, please consider these resources for professional help.
We welcome your participation in our projects, webinars, support gatherings, and our EDRM Hub, our job board/event/directory website. There is no charge for these EDRM offerings, thanks to our very generous Trusted Partners and Event Sponsors.
Striving for balance,,
Mary & Kaylee